Sunday, June 29, 2008

How I'm spending my summer vacation...



I know it's been a while since my last posting, sorry about that, there just hasn't been much to write about lately. I hate to complain, but these past few weeks have left me feeling a little dull, and so far the summer has been a bit of a let down.

For starters I haven't spent much time in my own home this month. Just like last year, Mom & Dad decided to take the first two weeks in June all to themselves. This year they went off on vacation to some place they call Alaska. I have no idea where that is, but I know it's far away, and since their return it seems all Mom can talk about is the bears and the moose.
She made it all sound very interesting at first, but now it's starting to get on my nerves. If I have to hear that story one more time about how Mom got chased by the moose, I think I'm going to hurl.

What usually happens when Mom and Dad go away is that the three of us get shipped off to this place for dogs I like to call,
Camp Bark-A-Lot.


It's the same place we always go, but I still haven't gotten used to it yet. Mom and Dad like to joke about it being some kind of vacation resort for dogs; they think all we do all day is eat treats, chase balls and have oodles of fun. The truth is, it's nothing like that at all, in fact, it's anything but fun. It nothing but a big fat bore if you were to ask me.

I'll bet it they had to spend a little time there themselves they'd quickly see it for what it really is: "A Gulag for dogs!"

What, you think I'm exaggerating, try to picture this: While Mom and Dad are out having a grand old time, running all over Alaska getting chased by moose, the three of us are all cooped up together, having to share a pen day and night without so much as a sofa to lay on and not a lick of privacy to be had. Except for a couple of hours spent each day out in the recreation yard, most of the time we're confined to our cell, where we're forced to eat our meals from tin bowls!

Sleeping conditions aren't much better, it's almost impossible to get a good night sleep with the incessant barking that goes on half the night. Some of those mutts never know when to shut up.

Hey, does that sound like any vacation resort you'd like to visit?
. . . I didn't think so. After two weeks of that my nerves are about shot and all I want to do is come home, chill out in my own yard and play with my own frisbee. And that's just what I was planning on doing when I got home, but unfortunately the weather has not been good for Bearded Collies, since we arrived home it's been hot as heck everyday. For the past few days I've had to stay inside with the AC on because I can't take the heat.

And then, as if all that wasn't enough, Mom had to run off on another trip to China.
Oy vey!

I know it sounds like I'm doing an awful lot of complaining, but so far this whole month has been a bust. It's just that I wait all winter for summer to get here, just so I can have a little fun, and now all this.

Oh well, sorry about that. The last thing I want to do is bum anyone out. I'm usually very optimistic. Actually I think I'm starting to feel a little better now. I guess I just needed to get a few things off my chest. I think it's even starting to cool off a bit, maybe I'll just mosey on out and and see if I can get Dad to throw the frisbee for a while. That's always a lot of fun.

Next weekend is the 4th of July and Mom will be home so that should be a lot of fun as well.
Hopefully by then I'll have something a little more amusing to talk about and maybe a few more pictures.

Hang in there Mom, only a few more days and you'll be home!
Better days are ahead!

No comments: